Sociologist, local councillor, activist from Malta

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Route 63 - Sliema Buses...

Michael Briguglio

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20120125/letters/Route-63-1-.403771
The Times, Wednesday 25th January 2012


I refer to Albert Borg’s letter (January 20). Mr Borg rightly complains about the fact that bus 63, which used to pass from Valletta through Dingli Street in Sliema, has been removed, meaning that persons who live in the area have to walk a long way when using the bus. This surely does not augur well for accessible public transport.

May I remind Mr Borg and other Sliema residents who are complaining on the matter that when I was Alternattiva Demokratika local councillor between 2003 and 2009 I constantly spoke about the need to retain this route and to reintroduce others, such as route 61 at the Ferries. I also spoke up when the local council was consulted by the Transport Authority on the public transport reform. My comments were endorsed by the Sliema local council of the time.

The Transport Authority does not seem to care about such matters. I wonder how many decision-makers in the authority use the bus.

No comments: