Sunday, April 14, 2013

Stepping down without conditions

Two weeks have passed since I announced that I will not be recontesting the post of Chairperson in Alternattiva Demokratika - The Green Party, though I will remain Sliema local councillor after being elected for the 4th time since 2003.

My decision to resign was made clear in my blog (link here: http://mikes-beat.blogspot.com/2013/04/to-ad-executive-and-activists.html), and is not some strategic manouvre based on ifs and buts, conditions, or wait-and-see options.

I thank those within the AD executive, those activists, members, supporters and others who whole-heartedly respected and understood my decision to resign from chair, through our respective communication. I am obliged to such friends. I wish them the best of luck.

In the meantime, I chose not to participate in the organisation of AD leading to the upcoming general meeting. I did this as I believe that those who announce that they will step down should take the ethical decision not to interfere in the selection of subsequent leadership teams.

I will always remain committed to social justice, environmental justice and civil rights, something I have been doing since 1994.

No comments: